Wood samples are the lifeblood of The Wood Database! If you’d like to contribute one or more samples, please keep the following in mind:
What I’m looking for:
- Any new wood sample that isn’t currently on the site.
- Commercially available woods from foreign countries.
- Anything extremely heavy
- Anything extremely light
- Unusual or interesting
- Any wood sample that is already on the site, with some exceptions—such as if the grain, color, figure, or some other property of the wood is noteworthy or deserving of special attention on the site (e.g., birdseye maple).
- Endangered species or trees that are otherwise illegal to cut down. (I hope to obtain samples of such species from already existing stock within the United States.)
- Samples that are significantly smaller than the specified 6″ x 3″ x 1/2″ size.
- Overseas shipping can be costly, so I am unable to offer reimbursement of shipping charges unless an adequate amount of samples are sent (usually at least four to six) to make the shipment reasonably cost efficient.
If shipping cost is an issue, I am able to reimburse you for any shipping expenses incurred via PayPal if needed: just let me know if you’d like for me to cover this in your message.
Preferred wood size is standard IWCS sample size of 6″ x 3″ x 1/2″ (that is, six inches long, three inches wide, and a half inch thick).